Why is LinkedIn So Important? + A LinkedIn Share Guide
Although it is typically underrated among other social media platforms, LinkedIn is the most popular and largest professional networking site available today. With over 240 million active users and 3 million businesses having a company page, it's the perfect platform for getting hired, connecting with other business professionals and business-to-business (B2B) networking and sales.
So why is LinkedIn so important? There are many reasons, but here are a few that were mentioned above...
- Personal branding - LinkedIn is one of the few and free ways to promote yourself as a professional and/or thought-leader in your industry. Not only do you have an online resume on display, but its home feed allows you to share your work, other industry-related news, articles and so on with the rest of your network. In addition, joining groups and commenting on other peoples' posts allows you to share your knowledge with people outside of your network. This personal branding can help land you a job or even advance the career you already have.
- Connecting with other professionals - LinkedIn is a great place to make strong connections with other people in your industry or professionals with similar interests. As mentioned above, LinkedIn allows professionals to share their knowledge with each other. In addition, don't be afraid to seek advice from other professionals or even connect to do business with that individual in the future.
- B2B networking and sales - With over three million businesses on LinkedIn, it's the perfect place to find sales leads for B2B companies. LinkedIn has a powerful search function that allows a person to search within specific industries or even for people with a certain job title to do business with. Company pages are also a great way to keep track of competitors, partners and other interesting companies.
Now that you know a few reasons why this business networking platform is so important... Are you on LinkedIn but don't know where to start? Or maybe you have a profile but need some easy ways to help make your presence known.
I have included, what I like to call, a "LinkedIn Share Guide" below. I like to share this guide with people who are new to LinkedIn or want to make more of an impact on their network without doing too much work.
LinkedIn Share Guide
- Have an updated, professional photo
- Keep your profile updated with job descriptions, job titles, projects, etc.
- Make sure your company description, job description and posts are consistent with Grid Connect messaging
- Customize your profile URL
Every day (when applicable)
- Like, comment on, and/or share new posts from your company page
- Like, comment on, and/or share new posts from your colleagues that are relevant to your company or industry
- Respond to comments on your posts
- Accept pending connections (if connections are appropriate for your business or networking purposes)
- Check who has viewed your profile
- Share an interesting link to an article or video related to your industry
- Search for 5-10 people you can connect with and send them an invitation (if connections are appropriate for your business or networking purposes)
- Send thank you messages to those who have connected with you throughout the week
- Post to a group that is relevant to your industry
- Share one piece of original content (e.g. blog post, case study, answering a question you frequently get, etc.)
- Catch up with one of your connections that may foster new business opportunities
- Follow a new thought-leader in your industry
- Post about any events you will be attending during the month (especially if you are speaking at them or sponsoring them)
- Leave groups that are not active and look for new ones that may be beneficial to you and your company or brand
Want to connect with me on LinkedIn? Click here!